Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I have some heated things to say about "The Girl with the Blackened Eye." The first thing I noticed about this story was the description. The story also gives an accurate way of stating how people react to bruises on others. Whether the person thinks that the injury was from abuse or some sort of accident, people don't want to get involved in deeper situations. I also noted that the story held a lot about suppressing the memory, not facing it like a healthy person. What the person went through was obviously traumatic, and no one seems to want to know what happened. The girl mentioned that her husband didn't even know that part of her life. To me that is like hiding yourself behind a lie. Sure the lady was abducted, as well as other things, but it doesn't sound like she has ever gotten past any of it. The things she had witnessed and experienced has her still seeing the guy around.
I don't actually care for her. This is not to say that it isn't a horrifying story, but I just got angrier and angrier at this week person. It may sound cold and evil, but this woman is hiding from her past. She has brought lies with her. Her husband has no idea even what she went through. I don't like this person. She fears, but doesn't face. The lady is pushing her problems under the rug and one day she will make them known. Whether a real person or a character I would never wish these horrid events on anyone, but is it did happen, I would insist the get it all out of their system. I love the description, the movie that plays in my head because of the writing, but I can't say the same for the woman. I am able to say that I could feel her fear, and her other emotions through the writing. That the dialect is inspiring, but I can't condone the character.

1 comment:

  1. ok, good... think more about trauma and the effects (esp. on psychological and emotional health, etc)... how is that "shown" throughout the story?

    ReplyDelete